Friday, July 6, 2007

Thing 15

I'm just loving this. I read some of the articles on "Library 2.0" and was appalled at the grammar and punctuation of one of them (Mr. Hip Librariandude, if you need a hint) but mostly at the content.
Here's a bunch of people all agreeing that The Library has to embrace this new model (ewww, I hate that word almost as much as I hate "initiative" used as a noun) and yet nobody has anything really concrete to say. I particularly like the term "lightweight programming models" which will mean nothing to most librarians, and even fewer customers. If a customer has a question/need, the last thing he wants to hear is something about a lightweight programming model and how it might be of use to him. Sorry, y'all. He wants the book/question answered/whatever.
Which is not to say that I think The Library should stagnate and never move beyond what we are now. Nosiree. Let's just see if we can do it like normal people and not jump around and get all excited over something just because it exists.

No comments: