Friday, July 6, 2007

Oh, and Wikis

By and large, I'm too much of an elitist to get excited about the whole Wiki thing. Okay, so any crackpot out there can add whatever drivel he wants to my web site?
I don't think so.
Yeah, yeah, I know there are checks and balances but why should I put myself in the position of editing not only me but everyone else in the world? No, I'd much prefer that people email me with additions or changes, etc. so I can look them over, decide my original is better and then delete delete delete.
Oh, unclench; even I'm not that bad.
No, I can see a fair amount of usefulness here, particularly if the wiki in question is based on something other than factual information (e.g. arranging meetings, sharing impressions, reviewing books, etc.) If it's something that requires a lot of fact-checking then I'll pass.
I think it's worse to pass on potentially wrong information than to squelch people's self-expression.

No comments: